Having the best filter for your pool is one of the best things that will happen to you as a pool owner. To ensure your above ground pool water is clean and healthy enough for swimming, you will need to know what is the best above ground pool filter system that is suitable for capturing dirt, contaminants, and debris from your pool water. Many pool owners take the filter issue with levity hand, but it is the heart of pool operation. To select the best filter for your pool, please read on!
Top 8 Above Ground Pool Filter on The Market in 2020
1. Intex 28635EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools
This unique filter pump is a must-buy for all above ground pool owners of up to 18ft diameter. It comes with a built-in timer to perform auto pool cleaning function, which makes it incredibly easy to use. It boasts of its 1500 GPH pump flow rate and 1,810 GPH system flow rate. It will circulate and purify your pool water to ensure everything is clean and fresh. It utilizes Type A filter cartridge that requires replacement every 2 weeks. The pump is easy to maintain and requires occasional cleaning or substitution to keep the pump flowing effectively.
- It is easy to install with hose fitting comes with it
- It includes replaceable and easy to clean filter cartridge
- The pump is easy to maintain
- It is a bit expensive
2. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter for Above Ground Pools with GFCI
This Krystal clear sand filter pump with GFCI for the above ground pool is a product of the Intex brand. This filter is suitable for any pool with a capacity of 5500 gallons up to 19600 gallons. This means that the above ground pool will be 16ft larger. It comes with a strainer basket that works effectively to clean the sand and ensure long time functionality. The featured skimmer clings comfortably to the metal frame on the pool sidewall, which has an adjustable bracket attached to the pump to carry out auto skimming. It will help you to trap leaves and other debris without allowing them to sink beneath the pool.
- It generates a pump flow rate of 2100 GPH
- It provides the owner with six fantastic filtration function
- It comes with 24hrs timer for auto cleaning function
- Utilizes conventional 5-inch connector
- It requires 120 pounds of sand, which needs to be bought separately
3. Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools
This filter pump comes with an easy to maintain and replace filter cartridge for you to enjoy a healthy swimming pool. It has Intex 2500 GPH filter cartridge pump. It is proud of its 2500 GPH pump flow rate and 1,900 GPH system flow rate. This pump will traverse and clean your above ground pool water and keep it fresh. The filter pump maintenance is comfortable. Just ensure you replace the cartridge every two weeks though this filter utilizes Type B cartridge.
- It complies with UL/CSA standards
- It comes with sediments flushing valve
- Uses easy to clean and replaceable cartridge
- Comes with two insulated pump
- The cartridge must be replaced every two weeks
4. Intex Electrocatalytic Oxidation Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System with GFCI
Sand filter pumps are one of the best techniques of keeping the pool water clean and fresh. It is natural and affordable sand only performs a fantastic water filtering job, but also requires appropriate replacement once in five years. This function makes sand filter the most straightforward to maintain the filtration system on the market. The electro catalytic oxidation and saltwater system are capable of cleaning the water, keeping it safe, and preventing the harshness of chlorine. This pump features a 24 hours timer for auto cleaning of the pool.
- The saltwater system generates a 2,650 GPH pump flow rate
- It is environmentally friendly
- Requires sand changes once in five years
- It eliminates harmful chlorine from the pool water
- Some customers complain about the price
5. Hayward W3CC15093S XStream Fliter Pump for Above-Ground Pool (1.500 HP)
This Hayward W3CC15093S XStream filter pump is a perfect one for all above ground pools with heavy traffic. This pump uses its power to keep the pool water clean and works perfectly in a large pool. It has been commended for its powerful and impressive performance of getting the water clean within a short time. It features a large filter body for ensuring even distribution of waste and debris all-round the filtering parts. It comes with an Easy-Lok ring for easy access to reach all elements in a single turn.
- Features non-corrosive filter basin
- It comes with high-capacity air valve
- Compatible with both flexible and rigid plumbing system
- More efficient filtering life
- This filter pump is a bit heavier
6. Sand Filter Pump 4500GPH 19 for Above Ground Swimming Pool
This sand filter pump is solidly made to proffer a maximum flow rate, which promotes the cleanliness quality of the pool water. It works efficiently with low noise to simplify your work while consuming minimal energy. It features a giant pump strainer basket with an easy to open, flimsy pump cover and quick lock, meaning that there is less cleaning work for you while you enjoy relaxing swimming experience. The featured 5-way multi-port offers quick back-washing, and it is easy to use.
- Its operates quietly with low noise
- Feature heavy-duty motor
- The component of the pump is made of fiberglass
- Ensures user’s safety with auto thermal protector
- Its energy consumption rate is bearable
- Some customers complain about the gauge valve leaking
7. Hayward Sand Filter Pump VL40T32 VL Series 30 GPM
This Hayward VL40T32 filter pump is the best substitute for the cartridge filtration system that features soft-sided pools. This exceptional sand filtering technology is designed to be easy to assemble and swift repositioning of the components. The filtering system can filter out the smallest element of debris and dirt out of the water. It combines the quality of energy efficiency and high filtering performance to provide maximum flow. It comes with an impressive filter base made of durable thermoplastic to ensure long time functionality.
- It comes with hose adapters
- Features durable and rugged filter base
- It comes with a corrosion-proof thermoplastic pump
- Performs excellently in all weather
- Featured integrated pump base
- It has a leaking problem
8. Hayward W3S180T93S ProSeries Sand Filter System 18-Inch 1500 HP
The Pro Series sand filter pump is engineered to perform fantastic water purification function and energy efficiency. This Hayward 18-inch filter pump for above ground swimming pool features 1500 HP Powerflow pump, twenty polymeric tank, and 7-position control valve. The upper diffuser of this filter pump ensures an equal circulation of water to the whole sand bed for optimum use of the filtration space. It also comes with extreme pressure water and sand draining system for quick servicing. The easy pump-to-filter connection simplifies the whole winterization and installation process.
- Features umbrella-fold self-cleaning system for the efficient water flow
- Comes with patented 7-position control valve
- It is built to function for long
- Easy to winterize and install
- The skimmer lid is not too strong
FAQs About Above Ground Pool Filter
Q: How to backwash a sand filter for above ground pool?
A: The following is the step by step process to backwash above ground pool:
- Switch off the pool pump first
- Position the valve lever to the backwash position and make sure it locks tightly in place
- Switch on the pump and backwash for like two minutes
- Off the pump
- Align the valve handle to rinse spot and make sure it locks tightly in place
- On the pump and rinse for a minute
- Off the pump again
- Set the valve to filter
- Switch on the pump
Q: Best type of above ground pool filter?
A: In the pool filtering system category, D.E filters are regarded as the most effective products to buy. D.E filters sieve out particles as minor as two to four microns. Filter cartridges are next to D.E as far as effective pool cleaning is concerned. Cartridge filters will filter out the pollutants down to ten to fifteen microns. Sand filters are the most famous among the pool filter systems, and it is because they are efficient and affordable. They only trap micro particles down to twenty microns.
Q: What size pump and filter for above ground pool?
A: If you have above ground pool that is up to 24ft, i.e., less than 15,300 gallons capacity, use 1 HP pump for it, and if your above ground pool is over 24ft. i.e., having more than 15,300 gallons capacity, use a 1.5 HP pump for it.
At this juncture, you must have gained specific knowledge and information you’ll need to pick the best above ground pool filter pump. You will have to choose the one that is most suitable for the size of your swimming pool. Each model features its pros and cons, and that is why we have selected and compiled the list of best available products on the market for you.