UPDATED: May 21, 2019.
Swimming pool owners know that proper upkeep of their facilities is critical to ensure that they are in swim-ready shape. Even during the winter, your pool requires maintenance and one vital piece of equipment is the best pool cover.
Pool covers come in all sizes and shapes to include the measurement of any facility and many of the latest covers feature technologies that provide reliable protection against harsh elements.
Benefits of a Pool Cover
There are two main problems that a pool cove solves.
First, it reduces the amount of effort and time you use to maintain your pool during the off-season or winter. This is by preventing leaves, dirt, and other debris from falling into your pool.
Secondly, a cover offers an additional layer of safety. It prevents pets and kids from falling into your pool.
Benefits of Winterizing Your Pool
Irrespective of whether you own an in-ground or above-ground pool, you paid a lot of bucks for it. To enjoy the most out of your investment, you should maintain your pool.
One vital step of winterizing is covering your pool with an effective pool cover. This prevents algae from developing and leaves from falling inside.
Factors to Consider When Getting Your Cover
There are 5 key factors that you should consider before you settle for a specific pool cover.
- Functionality – Why do you need a pool cover? Maybe to prevent leaves from falling into your pool or to keep out pets and kids from your pool. Your cover should much your needs.
- Climate – Some covers are ideal for areas with the harsh weather while others are suitable for the friendly
- Warranty – You should invest in a cover that has at least a 5 years warranty.
- Match your pool – Consider the size and shape of your swimming pool before you buy your cover.
- Budget – Spend only what you have budgeted for.
Best Swimming Pool Cover Reviews 2019
Here is a review of the top pool covers on the market today:
1. Blue Wave Bronze 8-Year12-ft Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
The Blue Wave Bronze grade pool cover has the durability and strength of dirt defenders costing twice its price. Coating and rugged polyethylene scrim mean that the cover can withstand the harsh winter.
The cover is UV protected, so it will last for many years and comes with an 8 years warranty. Its black underside prevents algae development and the heat-sealed seams ensure a crystal clear pool next spring.
2. Robelle 3512-4 Super Winter Pool Cover for Round Above Ground Swimming Pools, 12-ft
The Robelle Super Winter Pool blanket is a UV protected solid winter product for above ground pool. It comes with a 4-foot overlap, making it easier to attach to your pool than other covers.
Its top is imperial blue while the underside is black to thwart algae development. The product is made of a polyethylene material that is pretty light and, together with the scrim, it offers durability and strength. It also comes with a 10 years warranty.
3. Blue Wave 12-ft Round Leaf Net Above Ground Pool Cover
With Blue Wave 12-ft pool cover, you will eliminate all the mess caused by dead leaves during spring from your pool. It comes with a leaf mesh that traps even the tiniest of leaves before they hit the water.
The cover is very simple to install, all you need to do is to lay it on top of your pool cover. This cover is made from durable polyethylene material and comes with a 4 years warranty.
4. In The Swim 8-Year 24 ft. Round Pool Winter Cover
The In The Swim 24 ft. keeps your pool covered to during the cold months making it ideal for winter. This ensures that you have an easy time getting your pool back to its shape when spring comes calling.
It is constructed with a laminated polyethylene sheet with thick and high-quality polythene stitching to ensure that it’s durable and strong. The product also comes with an 8 years warranty.
5. Blue Wave Bronze 8-Year 12-ft x 20-ft Oval Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
Blue Wave Bronze for oval pools is yet another dirt defender that provides the durability and strength of much costlier covers. The cover features a rugged polyethylene scrim as well as a coating which ensure that it withstands the coldest of weather.
It is also UV protected so that it can last for years under direct harmful UV rays. The underside of the cover is black to retards algae development and it comes with an 8 years warranty.
6. Robelle 351015-4 Super Winter Pool Cover for Oval Above Ground Swimming Pools, 10 x 15-ft.
Another great cover for oval above ground pools is the Robelle 351015-4 and it is UV protected to ensure it lasts under direct sunlight. Thanks to its 4-foot overlap, it is quite easy to secure this product and it floats on your pool comfortably.
Its underside is black; hence it will kill all algae and prevent them from growing. Due to its polyethylene material, the cover is pretty strong and durable. And above all, it comes with a 10 years warranty.
7. Robelle 351224R Super Winter Pool Cover for In-Ground Swimming Pools, 12 x 24-ft.
If you have an in-ground pool, then the Robelle 35122R Super Winter UV protected cover is the product for you. The cover features 5 ft. of overlap, which provides you enough material to cover your swimming pool.
Its top comes in a blue color while its underside comes in a black color to thwart algae development. The unit is made of polyethylene material that is light and its scrim adds to its strength and durability. It also comes with a 10 years warranty.
8. Blue Wave NS510 14-mil Solar Blanket for Rectangular In-Ground Pools, 12-ft x 24-ft
Warm your swimming pool fast with the Blue Wave NS510 14-mil solar blanket for all rectangular in-ground facilities. Every one of these covers comes with thousands of small bubbles that form an insulating cover, protecting your pool from the cold winter.
It also features a clear plastic design that allows more light to hit your pool’s surface and it is UV protected. It also reduces evaporation and comes with a 6 years warranty.
9. Water Warden Pool Safety Cover for a 12 x 20 Pool, Blue Mesh
Protect your in-ground pool from harsh winter weather in one easy step using the Water Warden Pool Cover. The cover follows the industry standards when being constructed to ensure that it lasts longer and is safe.
The cover is pretty light and allows rainwater to seep through but traps all the leaves and other debris. It is made in the USA and comes with a 10 years warranty.
10. Blue Wave 14-ft x 28-ft Rectangular In Ground Pool Safety Cover
Guard your pets and kids as you protect your swimming pool with the Blue Wave 14 ft. x 28 ft. pool cover. The unit is quite durable and strong enough to support your family, yet very light to install and remove from your facility within minutes.
The product is made of 2-ply mesh with reasonable break strength of 40,000 lbs. It allows the rainwater to pass through and comes with a 12 years warranty.
Tips to make Your Pool Cover More Bearable
Given the relatively limited-lifespan and hassle of pool covers; there are some things that you can do to make it more bearable. Here are a few tips that you can try:
- Color – Whilst most pool covers are blue, white, or green, there are other colors that withstand the harsh weather better. Go for a color that is suited to your specific weather condition.
- Hassle – If you hate the idea of putting your cover on and off and have a large budget, get a motorized cover which is easy to install.
- Space – You can install a covered pit at the end of your swimming pool to store your cover if there is sufficient space.
- Water level control – There are a lot of overflow devices on the market that can drain excess water and prevent it from reaching your pool cover.
FAQs on Best Pool Cover
Q: How do I remove the leaves trapped on my pool cover?
A: You can remove leaves and other debris trapped on your pool cover using one of these methods:
- You can use a leaf blower to gather the leaves to one side of your cover and then remove them.
- Alternatively, use a leaf rake skimmer net to scoop the debris and dirt from your cover.
- Use a leaf blower to blow leaves to one side of the blanket where they can be removed
- Do not use a yard rake.
What is the best pool cover on the market? The best pool cover should be durable, strong, and offer value for your money. This is what you get from the Blue Wave Bronze 8-Year12-ft Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover.