UPDATED: June 1, 2019.
To ensure efficient filtering of the pool, an appropriate Pool Pump is a must. The main function of any pool pump is to pull the water from the pool, filter it diligently and circulate it back to the pool with safe and clean water to swim and bathe in.
But what is the best pool pump?
Before finding the answer, let’s go back in time for a bit.
Traditionally, the pools were cleaned with hands cleaning the large debris in the form of leaves but leaving behind fine debris like dust, sand and dust particles. With five components as water inlet, water outlet, Impeller, Filter, and motor, it ensures that the treatment chemicals are dispersed widely rather than concentrating at one place. Let’s take a quick look at the functions performed by each part in a Power Pump:
- Water inlet facilitates the inflow of water into the pump. The maximum flow rate is determined on the basis of the diameter of the inlet.
- After filtration, Water outlet facilitates the outflow of water from the pump.
- By spinning, impeller allows the water propelling out of the pool pump.
- The Filter is one of the significant aspects of the pool which capture the debris before the water comes out from the pump and reaches back to pool.
- The pumping function is performed with the help of a motor. It renders the power to the impeller to such the water in the pool pump.
The 10 Best Pool pumps for your swimming pool
With plenty of options available in the market with distinctive features, choosing an appropriate Pool Pump is not an easy deal. To make life easy for you, we have reviewed the ten best-quality products that are being used and recommended by pool owners like you.
1. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
- 6-function control valve allows filtering, backwashing, rinsing, recirculating, draining and closing the system.
- It gives a hassle-free experience with a 24-hour inbuilt timer.
- It has a flow rate of 3000 gallons per hour
- No maintenance required virtually
- An ideal deal for ground pools 16’ and above
- Not as quiet as others you may find here.
With this useful Sand Filter pump, you can now keep the above-ground pool water absolutely clean, refreshing and soft. With its excellent sand-filtration feature and a 24-hour built-in timer, it provides a hassle-free cleaning and maintenance of your pool. Its Pump Flow Rate is 3,000 gph (11.3 m3/hr) and the System Flow Rate is 2,450 gph (9.2 m3/hr).
The pump motor operates at an efficiency of 75% and has a capacity of 0.59 HP. Sand Filters are among the most reliable ways to keep your pool water clean. Not just the sand, this pool pump can also remove small dirt particles and algae.
Featuring easy maintenance, you need to replace the sand once in 5 years. It considerably saves a lot of time and cost. But, it needs a one-time heavy investment as the pricing is on a higher side.
2. Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump
- The see-through strainer provides a better view and indicated when basket needs cleaning.
- The internal component can be accessed by unfixing just 4 bolts.
- Higher leaf holding capacity is provided by oversized debris basket to facilitate less maintenance.
- Extremely reliable with a good performance motor.
- Strainer cover can be removed easily with its swing-away knobs.
- Corrosion proof built.
- 110 cubic inch basket.
- Efficient suction lift allows lifting 10 feet above water level.
- This is an expensive proposition to handle compared to others.
Specifically designed for in-ground pools and spas of varied sizes, this exclusive Super Pump is extremely dependable and efficient to handle your in-ground pool water cleaning needs. A large see-through strain cover is deliberately provided with a big debris basket and easy-to-service design to make it easy to handle.
With its efficient Noryl impeller, lesser horse-powers are required to produce higher water flows as compared to the available pumps in the market. It ensures the free-flowing movements even for the heavy debris loads with its load extender ribbing.
3. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed
- This contemporary pool pump facilitates energy saving up to 90 percent.
- The optimum speed is provided with 8 programmable speed settings.
- The built-in timer ensures maximum time efficiency and savings.
- Features EasyTouch, Pool Control System, IntelliTouch, and SunTouch to manage its various functions.
- Low noise equipment with quieter operations.
- It may be little higher on pricing
This efficient speed in-ground pool pump ensures an approximate saving of $1500 by saving up to 90% of energy against traditional pool pumps. It operates with very milder noise as low as 45 decibels. A diagnostic is provided within to provide longer service life.
You will surely invest in superior engineering with this speed pump which has a record of field-proven reliability. The magnetic motor of the pump produces less vibration compared to the traditional induction motors. Investing in this pump may be extravagant for once but may reap good dividends in the year to come.
4. Hayward SP15932S PowerFlo Matrix
- It requires minimal Maintenance.
- It is energy efficient above-ground and on-ground pool pump.
- An oversized strainer basket is provided to collect a large amount of debris.
- It has a high-performance motor with thermal overload protector.
- The propellers have a wide opening to avoid any clogging due to leaves and debris.
- With a press of the button, the horizontal and vertical discharge orientations can be interchanged.
- The quality of the pool is good but the built is not that impressive.
Power-Flo Matrix is a superior above-ground and on-ground pool which comes with a rear-mounted. It is famous for its industrial-size strainer basket which facilitates the large debris collection. This dual speed pool requires minimal maintenance.
It quickly disconnects the intake and discharges pipe connections. The heavy-duty motor ensures years of operations with an integrated automatic thermal overload protector. Although the pool is made out of high-quality material, the design of the pool is not that attractive as it should be.
5. Pentair 342001 SuperFlo
- The simple and realistic interface is easy to operate.
- A real-time clock is provided with memory retention up to 24 hours.
- Quicker results could be achieved with its good suction capacity.
- To prevent dripping, it does not require any type of adjustments.
- Little expensive pump in this series
- At times, it turns louder
With its easy installation process, this pool pump is a good deal to buy. This model from Pentair is one of the easiest pumps to install in the series of variable speed pump. There is virtually no rewriting required as it can conveniently run on 230V. With no drips, it boasts good suction quality.
However, little louder on noise, it appropriately fits for a pool requiring 1.5HP. It has an override capacity with three operating variable speed.
6. Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter
- Easy to Install
- One of the popular filters facilitating an easy use
- It can efficiently handle the large swimming pools with its strong filters
- You can position your filter appropriately with the long electrical cord.
- To attach its filter pump, you might require purchasing some additional items like hoses and fittings for the larger pools.
- A replacement o-ring is required frequently to close the lid tightly.
- Requires the cartridge to be replaced every 15 days.
Designed specifically for the above-ground pools, Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter facilitates easy installation. It comes with double insulated pipes. An auto-timer is also available for presetting the 2hr to 12 hr cycles. It comes with one Hydro Aeration Technology and air release valve.
The filter cartridges are replaceable but need to be done fortnightly. If you have a swimming pool with 18 feet of diameter or length, this pool pump is most appropriate to use.
7. Harris H1572730 ProForce 1.5 HP
- The big filter basket within is very easy to clean
- One-year warranty is provided covering various damages
- Stainless steel motor is very powerful and thermoplastic material is used to make it corrosion resistant.
- It offers different ranges of horse-powers depending on your needs.
- Quite affordable, it can easily fit your budget
- No on/off switch is provided
- The electrical motor is prone to heating
This low-cost pool pump yields the outstanding results to its users. The corrosion proof and durable material are used to make the motor more durable. Steel Clad Thermoplastic is used in making the stainless-steel motor shaft. You can easily inspect its strainer with the transparent lid over it.
Both on the suction and the discharge ports, 1.5 HP, 115V, 1.5-inch connections are provided. Harris ProForce has no self-priming and you may require buying some additional parts like fittings, and fillers or hoses.
8. Pentair 340039 SuperFlo High Performance
- An efficient motor with the heavy-duty feature.
- To ensure a quick operation, self-priming is available
- A big strainer basket is provided to collect large quantities of debris
- It has the self-priming facility to ensure quick starting the job.
- I year warranty is provided for this durable pump.
- This pump is not energy efficient
- As it gets noisier with time, the replacement of worn out parts is mandated.
It’s an efficient and affordable pump receiving the power from the 1-1/2 HP motor. With its 56 square flange motor, it boasts a good quality thick wall body parts. An industrial basket is provided to collect a large amount of debris conveniently.
With its internal flow design, this pump aids to quietness as the motor has access to the sufficient ventilation. As it can handle the large volumes at one go, it adversely impacts on the running time. Pentair Superflo is not an energy efficient choice.
9. Harris H1572747 ProForce
- A high performing pump with durability.
- It comes with minimal noise.
- Easy-to-clean filter basket keeps the maintenance hassles low.
- Pricing is slightly on the higher side.
A heavy-duty corrosion free pool pump with a stainless steel motor shaft! The quieter operation and the longer life of the pump are ensured with Carborundum & graphite mechanical seals. Self-priming is available facilitating the suction lift up to 8’ above the water line.
To ensure a free-flowing operation, a larger basket is provided to collect the greater amount of the debris. Easy maintenance is provided with Drain plug. A see-through cover is provided to keep a check on the basket cleansing. Harris ProForce is highly efficient and meets all the ETL and CSA requirement.
10. WAYNE 57729-WYNP WAPC250
- Pumps Up To 3000 GPH
- Energy Efficient and High Flow Oil-Free Motor
- Check Valve Reducer facilitating Reduce Short-Cycling
- Built-In Debris along with Ice Overload Protection
- Relatively higher on pricing compared to others available in the market.
With the ability to remove 3000 gallons per hour, this efficient pump is durable and easy to handle. The automatic ON/OFF operation with iSwitch technology facilitates the smooth operations. With check valve available within, the pump is prevented from the short cycling.
Worry-Free water removal is possible with WAYNE 57729. Filters are provided with strainers to avoid the tripping and clogging. To provide wider coverage to the pool, 25 ft –pull to shore rope is also provided. To reduce repetitive cycling, check-in-valve along with 3/4 inch garden hose adapter is also provided.
Quick Buying Tips to pick a right pool pump:
- To find the right size of the pump for your swimming pool, consider the flow rate.
- For small above ground pool, a medium sized pump pool can work perfectly. But for the large in-ground pools, only a high-quality pump can yield good results.
- Do not invest heavily, if you are using the pool only for a certain period of time. A basic model can suffice your needs well.
- To give consideration of the long-term performance, a self-priming pump with a pre-filter is an appropriate pump to consider.
- Before you finalize your decision, make sure to consider noise levels as one of the prime factors.
- If your major source of supply depends on the salt water, it is imperative to consider a pool pump which can disinfect such water.
- Be it a cartridge filter or a sand filter, a filter should be picked up which is compatible with the flow rate of the pump.
- There are three-speed options available with Pool Pumps:
Single speed: With the one-speed setting option, the impeller runs at a constant speed with no change. It consumes more energy and many states do not allow its usage
Dual Speed: You can set the speed as low or high. In high mode, it pushes the electricity bill at a higher side. It is recommended to keep it on low mode to save the energy.
Variable Speed: With a permanent magnetic motor (PMM), these are the finest options to save on energy bills. Bit higher on pricing, it yields good returns in the long run with considerable saving on electricity.
- The right flow rate is mandatory to consider yielding satisfactory performance results. The characteristics of the pool should be largely taken into consideration. If the filtration cycle can complete in four to six hours, it will be the ideal situation.
- With more bends on the pool-piping layout, the higher flow rate is required.
- If the machine room is distant from a pool, heavy flow is appropriate to choose
- If the pump requires pushing the water up in conjunction with the skimmers, only higher flows can yield the good results.
- A powerful pump is capable of dealing with the filter clogging when pool required considerable maintenance.
- It is a mandate to be sure if the above-ground pool or in-ground pool pumps are required. Any change in pool type will lead to the relocation of the pool filter.
- A top-mounted pump is required for above-ground pool. If both the filter and the pump are on the same level, a side-mount pump shall be required to install.
- Also, cartridge pumps and DE require the side-mounted pumps.
- Top-mount pumps can be worked out for sand filter functions.
A final word
Choosing a pool pump is an important decision for any pool owner. With an overabundance of options on the market, making the right decision hard. Choosing any of the above-mentioned pumps can save you time and money.
However, consider thorough research to get acquainted with various types of pumps and their pricing before picking one. A diligent introspection of pros and cons of various pumps available in the market will help you to choose the best pool pump in accordance to your pool.
Moreover, it is also important to understand the regulations laid by the state before choosing any high-quality pool pump. Having a good poop pump will not only make your pool water look crystal clean, but will also make sure your family stays healthy.