UPDATED: JAN 08, 2020.
Having a swimming pool at home is a fun thing, but keeping it clean is an entirely different ball game. You need to go the extra mile to ensure that your pool is in a hygienically perfect condition.
You will need to use chemicals to keep the pH and chlorine levels at an ideal level. But chemicals aren’t good for you and your family. You can limit their use by investing in a good pool skimmer.
But what is the best pool skimmer, you may ask?
Top 10 Pool Skimmers Reviews
Pool skimmer is a simple tool and any good skimmer will do the job. But to get the best bang for your buck and making your pool cleaning endeavor, you need to use the best skimmer out there.
Here are some of the best options you will find on the market today!
1. ProTuff SMALL 13″ SPA Skimmer Net
- Built-in connect clip to use it with a standard pool pole
- Aluminum frame for improved durability
- Tapered design for better maneuverability
- Fails to stack against modern day skimmers
If you’re looking for an easy and affordable way to keep your pool clean, the ProTuff skimmer net will help. This heavy-duty skimmer net comes with a lifetime guarantee, so you do not have to worry about tearing or breaking it.
The presence of a highly durable aluminum alloy frame is an added benefit. For improved stability, it comes equipped with a winged handle. You can easily connect it to your regular telescoping pole for use.
It certainly works great, but you just cannot compare it to modern day automatic skimmers, which are much more efficient and easier to use.
2. Stargoods Pool Skimmer
- Deep mesh bag for better cleaning
- Rounded borders for safe handling
- Professional design to use in any pool type
- Warranty against the manufacturing defects only
This skimmer provides you with an affordable way to keep your pool clean. It has a good quality mesh bag that can catch small debris with ease. Because of its design, it is quite suitable for both in-ground and above ground pools.
The presence of a universal holder means you can fit it in any telescopic pole to clean your large pool with ease. The only thing is that it does come with a warranty, but that covers manufacturing defects only.
3. Solar Breeze Solar Powered Pool Cleaner
- Helps remove 95% of debris
- Navigates your pool automatically
- Solar-powered skimmer
- The build quality is not that impressive
The best thing about this automatic pool skimmer is that it is powered by the sun, and efficiently runs for several hours even after sundown. It comes equipped with brush-less motors having a lifespan of well over 30,000 hours.
The Solar-Breeze pool skimmer removes up to 95% of debris from the surface and keeps it from sinking and sticking to the surface of the pool. In turn, this prevents the risk of having bacteria and pollen accumulating in your pool. The skimmer works automatically and finds its way in your pool without any hassle.
Along with eating up leaves, debris, and dirt, it also filters the water and keeps your pool well sanitized. The availability of a dispenser tray is another added benefit. It is a good choice as a whole, but some people believe that the build quality could have been better.
4. PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner
- Uses the power of water to work
- Makes it easier for the filtration system to work
- Adjusts itself automatically to water level
- Maybe a bit expensive for some
PoolSkim is an award winner automatic pool skimmer that intelligently uses the power of the water to create a powerful suction to get rid of all floating debris. It has a nylon mesh clip-on bag that contains all the debris, and everything else including grass clippings, helicopters, leaves, bugs, pollen, and hair.
Its patented design is another feature setting it apart from the pack. It is made using high quality PVC and polyurethane pipe connectors, which means it will serve you season after season without a problem.
With its working mechanism, which is actually fun to watch, it can catch the tiniest of bugs quite efficiently. The only issue is that it may feel a bit pricier than other skimmers in the category.
5. SkimDoctor 2.0 Pool Skimmer
- Works three times faster than other skimmers
- Requires little maintenance
- Comes with dual slots for efficient cleaning
- Quick-release design for easy operation
- No basket included
- Emptying the basket may be a hassle
This pool skimmer is a popular choice because it requires little maintenance that gives you more time to enjoy your pool. It works efficiently and is quite quickly actually, which is mainly because it works by creating a vortex over the skimmer basket. In fact, it manages to skim/clean your pool three times faster than other available skimmers on the market.
It comes equipped with dual slots, which is why more water can enter and promote efficient cleaning. It is important to keep in mind that it increases the suction power quite significantly, but may not increase the flow of water to the filter.
Similarly, you do not get a basket in the package, so you have to buy one to make it work. Emptying the basket may also require some hard work.
6. Intex Deluxe Skimmer
- A wall-mounted skimmer that works automatically
- Skimmer with a power to catch leaves before sinking
- Easy to mount to pool sidewalls with a bracket
- Durable plastic for long-lasting use
- Tricky installation process
Intex Deluxe is a wall-mounted skimmer that may be different from other commonly available skimmers but is quite effective nonetheless. It is capable of catching debris and leaves before they reach the bottom of the pool and promote algae formation.
You can set it on any metal frame pool sidewalls or have it mounted to EasySet using any adjustable bracket. Attach it to the filter pump and it will start working automatically.
It is made use polypropylene plastic and is quite durable. You do not have to worry about damaging it with pool chemicals either. You can easily get the strainer basket out to clean it properly. Overall, it is a good skimmer but some people believe that the installation is a bit tricky.
7. Hayward SP1091LX Above-Ground Skimmer
- Comes with a large basket
- Suitable for wide top seat pools
- Heavy duty ABS construction
- A bit expensive
The SP1091LX is a popular offering from Hayward and is known for its efficient performance. It is one of those skimmers on the market that come with a reasonably large debris collection basket. It is made from a high quality UV resistant material, so you can continue to use it in harsh weather conditions.
You will also get front and top basket access that makes it easier to maintain the skimmer. The presence of a removal weir is another added benefit. Considering its size, you can easily use it with any wide top seat pool.
8. SkimmerMotion Automatic Pool Skimmer and Cleaner
- Automatic working mechanism to cover the entire pool area
- Catches debris smaller than an inch
- Compatible with most bottom vacuum cleaners
- Patented design with a high energy efficiency rating
- Maybe a bit pricier than other models on the market
The SkimmerMotion automatic pool cleaner is capable of eliminating debris and particles smaller than 1 inch. It saves you from using chemicals extensively. It works by moving in parallel with any bottom vacuum cleaner you may already have installed.
It generates impression whirlpool suction power to collect debris and particles before they get to the bottom of your pool. Its patented design ensures that it works efficiently and for longer too. It is a lot more energy efficient as compared to other skimmers.
A common complaint is about its hose becoming tangled with crawler vacuum hose. Moreover, it may be a bit expensive too. If you can spend that much of money, you may certainly want to give it a shot.
9. Dunnrite Hydro-Net Pool Skimmer
- Battery powered skimmer with 5-hour working time
- Remote control with a 100ft range
- Suitable for smaller pools and ponds
- Low-quality remote control
The Dunnrite Hydro-Net skimmer is a battery-powered device that is capable of working for five hours on full charge. You can find the battery and charger in the package, which is nice, but many people have complained about the quality of the charger.
Similarly, the remote included in the package is not of the highest quality either. The range is good (100ft), but the build quality is not. The customer service is good though, and you can have your remote control replaced if it is within the warranty period.
10. Gator AutoSkim – Automatic Pool Skimmer/Cleaner
- Easy to install and use regularly
- Works easily at any water level
- Compatible with all types of pools
- The foam pads are of poor quality
The Gator AutoSkim suction skimmer moves randomly to collect debris and leaves from the surface of your pool. You do not have to be a tech-savvy person to install and use it, which is nice. Just connect it to the pool hose a couple of segments away from your automatic pool cleaner and it will start serving you well.
Interestingly, it is capable of working efficiently in all types of pools, including fiberglass, concrete, and vinyl pools. The only issue is that the foam pads it comes equipped with are prone to discoloration. They may disintegrate quite quickly. You can find the replacement though.
Features to Check in the Best Pool Skimmers
- Pay attention to the durability and ensure that the one you buy is made of high-quality material and is UV resistant too.
- Ensure that the pool skimmer you’re going to buy is easy to install and use or it will make you go through a lot of hassle every time you want to use it.
- Check if you can attach it to your filtration system or not. If it is tricky to install, it may not work efficiently.
- Check if the skimmer works fine on its or it needs other accessories to function.
- Consider opting for a skimmer that is capable of floating with the wind or select the one that uses natural water to function.
Keeping your pool clean is of utmost importance, and you can always rely on skimmers to do the job. Just be sure to consider your unique needs and select a skimmer that does the job in an efficient way. Read the reviews and you will be in a better position to make a choice!