UPDATED: FEB 5, 2020.
Leisure is the greatest luxury a modern man can afford in the busy life that he leads on a daily daily. The term leisure has been synonymous with pools and water bodies since times immemorial. Therefore, it is our utmost duty to maintain and manage pools properly, so that they can be enjoyed for a much longer period.
The first step towards pool maintenance and management is to take care of its sanitation and its PH levels. Such things need to be constantly monitored. The best weapon that would help in the monitoring process is a pool test strip that readily allows one to have a clear picture of the pool water condition and whether it needs attention or not.
Top 10 Pool Test Strips’ Reviews
A review of the 10 best pool test strips can be quite useful to understand not only the product usage but also about pool sanitation. The following list of the Pool Test Strips would help the buyers with the eternal question ‘what is the best pool test strips?’
1. AquaChek 551236
This small bottle comes with great wonders. It consists of 100 strips in total. The strips can measure seven levels with just a dip. They can essentially measure levels of total and free chlorine, water hardness, water alkalinity, bromine along with Cyanuric Acid. It can effectively measure in just fifteen seconds.
A comparator with color charts also comes in with the pack. It is reusable so that it can also help to measure the levels for other products thereby making it quite a useful thing.
- The readings are nearly accurate which serves as a good reference of measure
- It can be used as a good alternative to the full-blown test kit
- It is quick to provide the measurements
- The pH level measures provided by these strips are not that accurate and needs to be re-verified with full armor kits
2. Smart Test Poolmaster 22212
This pack of pool test strip comes with fifty test strips in it. The product is capable to analyze and provide measurements for six major chemical levels in the water; namely, total and free chlorine, the total hardness of the water, bromine, pH, and alkalinity.
All of these measures help in maintaining the right balance of various factors within the pool like water hardness, pool acidity levels, and sanitation. The pads provide on-the-spot readings and do not bleed, thereby providing accurate measures.
- The strips are easy to use without much hassle
- The results are quite clear when marked against the reference provided against the side of the bottle
- The user guide provided on the container of these strips is a bit confusing, thereby having a probability for getting incorrect results
3. Leisure Time Test Strips
This test strip comes in a pack of fifty. It can provide measurements of four types of chemical ratios that are usually found in spa or pool waters; like, water hardness especially related to that of calcium, pH levels with an emphasis on alkalinity degrees, bromine as well the chlorine levels.
The chart provided at the back of the bottle provides a good reference for the measurements when the strips are dipped in water. Needless to mention, the readings are nearly accurate and serve as a good guide to pool sanitation. These strips are compatible with both ozone as well as chlorine sanitizers.
- Good value for money as these strips are almost accurate when compared to its pricey contemporaries.
- The information about the measurements is easily readable and therefore user-friendly.
- The color code for levels of Chlorine and pH levels are quite similar thereby making it a bit hard to determine the correct levels of each component
4. JNW Direct Test Strips for Spa & Pool
These test strips come in a pack of 100 strips. This product can be used for both pools as well as spas. The strips can measure six parameters; like free as well as total chlorine content, total water hardness, bromine levels along with measurements of alkalinity and pH.
The latest upgraded range of this product includes reading for lower ranges of total chlorine levels. The reading for bromine levels along with waterproof labels have also been enhancing for better user experience. The speed and accuracy of the tests that these strips perform are quite impressive as well.
- The product is more user-friendly when compared to the regular liquid kits used for testing
- The time for assessing the water is very quick, thirty-two seconds to be precise.
- The reading for stabilizer content does not work that well.
- Also, the range for total chlorine is much higher, in the range of 0 to 1000 ppm.
5. Hot Tub JNW Direct Test Strip
The pack consists of a hundred strips. These strips can measure five different factors; like, total water hardness, free chlorine, pH, alkalinity and bromine. The upgraded kit provides enhances readings for waterproof labels and bromine levels, which ensures a long-lasting product.
- It comes with an e-book that explains clearly how to measure water levels, there making the process of reading the findings quite easy.
- The colors on the strips after testing and that provided in the reference do not match for some samples, thereby creating confusion in determining the levels of the factors.
6. CLOROX Test Strips
The pack consists of 50 test strips. These strips can measure six factors; like total water hardness, free and total chlorine, alkalinity along levels of stabilizer in the water. The best part is there is an app that helps to provide accurate readings. The app works well for both Android and i0S mobiles.
- Hassle-free reading experience of the findings, since you do not need to do anything. Just dip the strips in the pool, upload the findings in the app and the app does it for you. There are fewer chances of human error.
- The strips have issues in measuring the pH and the stabilizer levels in the water.
7. hth Test Kit for Pools
The pack contains about 30 strips. The strips can measure levels of six different factors; like a stabilizer levels of cyanuric acid, chlorine, total water hardness, pH, bromine and total alkalinity. These strips need to dip about eighteen inches below the water surface (when water reaches your elbow height as you hold the tip) to get an accurate reading.
It also comes with an app that is helpful to get accurate readings. This app is readily available in the app stores of both Android and Apple mobiles.
- The test results of your pool water can be auto-saved in an app, so you can do a quick analysis of the data and understand the primary areas when any kind of issue occurs.
- There have been some instances of erratic readings in the kit.
8. HoneForest Test Kit
The pack consists of one hundred test strips. The kit can measure only the hardness of the water. It can be used not only for pools but also for drinking water. Needless to mention, it is safe to use for potable water as well. It can measure water hardness with a rage of 0 to 425 mg/L. The strips can provide results for both magnesium as well as calcium levels in the water.
- The range of colors provided in the reference on the side of the bottle makes it easy to read and decipher the findings
- When the product is a bit old (not past expiration date), there have been issues with the accuracy of the findings.
9. Premium Test Kit
The bottle is equipped with 50 test strips. The product is meant to analyze and provide results only for water hardness. It can measure levels of both calcium as well as magnesium in the water. The ranges it can measure are 0 to 425 ppm and 0-25 gpg. The product has a long-lasting shelf life of about 1 year.
- Provides quick results thereby saving both time and effort
- The readings have been inaccurate in some of the samples
10. Frog @ease Water Test Strips
The pack consists of 30 test strips in total. These strips can measure four different factors in the water; like chlorine, water hardness for calcium, alkalinity, and pH. These strips are good to use only for sanitizing inline systems, and for @ease floating.
- The findings are accurate and easy to read.
- There has been consistency in the readings and are not erratic.
- The content of 30 strips is a bit less and is on the expensive side
A Brief Guide to Test and Manage Pool Water
In continuation with the above reviews and discussions, it has become evident that pool health is an essential aspect not only for the lifespan of the pool but also for the safety of the pool users. Therefore, taking care of the below facts would make our pool life easy and fun:
Test Regularly and Frequently
It is essential to monitor water conditions. You can use a strip or liquid kit to perform the act.
The sample collection is quite important. Use sample from the still areas rather than near the jets or the inlets
Understand the need for professional expertise
Self-help only works well to a certain limit. It is always advised to get professional consultation for your pool maintenance at least annually. Also, use professional help to analyze water samples at regular intervals.
Understanding the contaminants
It is necessary to understand what kind of contaminants can degrade the water quality of the pool. While some water supplies are rich in calcium hardness, some others are abundant with iron. Different elements need different solutions. Understand the type of element and then get rid of with required antidotes.
Checks for Iron and Copper
The regular water testing kits do not come with provisions to measure levels of iron and copper. Therefore, check for those kits that especially measure levels of these two metals in your pool water as well. Keeping a check on the levels of these components is necessary as well.
While we are busy with managing the chemical contamination of pool water, there have been some instances that in the water supply some physical components like small rocks also came. Therefore, having a filtered inlet will instantly solve the issue. In many cases, they would also keep major iron content away from the pool.
Low levels of water hardness
While high levels of water hardness can be a nuisance, lower levels of magnesium or calcium in the water can also be a problem. Therefore, we need to strike a perfect balance between these two elements to ensure a healthy pool.
Some Quick Points to Remember Before Buying The Test Strips
Always check for the expiration date in the pack. Getting expired product can result in erroneous reading thereby creating many problems
Some strips might come with special instructions for storage. Check if you can fulfill the instructions before getting one.
Essentially each product comes with its own pack of desiccants. However, just to sure cross-check if the pack is there or not and get one in case necessary.
Pool Strips can be a tricky affair. They need not only proper storage conditions but also exact usage procedures to get the best results. All you have to do is play by the rules and you are good to go. Also, check for the general quality of water in your area, so that you can get those that would suit your needs.