UPDATED: Nov 1, 2019.
A lot of money goes in planning, designing and building a pool. In order to make it perfect, the water needs to be at the right temperature. This can be determined only by a pool thermometer. And to know what is the best pool thermometer, various options have to be seen, understood and analyzed before taking the final decision.
The 7 Bestselling Pool Thermometers
If you’re having trouble picking the ideal thermometer for you pool, don’t miss out on these quick reviews which will help you start your search on the right foot and find the one that perfectly fits your bill.
Aquatix Pro Large Floating Pool Premium Water Temperature Thermometer
Aquatix Pro Large pool thermometer is used for the big swimming pools. Its sturdy built makes it a good option for public swimming pools. In such places, there can be rough handling as such pools tend to host a vast variety of people. In addition, this makes it a good option for hot tubs and fish ponds too.
- The readings are available in Fahrenheit as well as Celsius. This is a good option that would cater to all kinds of establishments.
- It is a large thermometer. This makes it a good option for bigger places. This also means that the markings will be bigger ensuring higher visibility.
- Made of good quality material. This makes it a sturdy and durable product.
- It does not provide instant reading. It takes around five minutes to display the pool temperature.
- This is a floating instrument. In case you wish to check the temperature of a lake before swimming in it, the Aquatrix Pro Large premium thermometer may float away. You will have to anchor it in order to avoid such a situation.
- It has to be held under water so that its reservoir fills with water. Once done, it will give the temperature reading.
GAME 7000 Derby Duck Spa and Pool Thermometer
This Derby Duck Spa & Pool Thermometer adds beauty to a pool. It is designed to pair with the other branded products provided by GAME. The iconic Derby Duck design adds decoration to this instrument.
- It has large calibration. This makes it easy to read the temperature readings.
- This pool thermometer is provided with a long and durable tether. This way the instrument will not float away anywhere.
- The iconic duck with sunglasses looks cool and fun in any kind of pool.
- It has a range of 10 to 160 degrees Fahrenheit. This is not really required. Hence this is an unrealistic calibration.
- It cannot be left out in the pool for extended periods of time as that will spoil it. This means that it should be kept out of the pool in case you are planning to go on a vacation. Leaving it in the pool for a couple of days is alright.
- After some time, it may get cloudy inside. This would make it impossible to see the readings, making it completely useless.
Milliard Floating Pool Thermometer
This is a really cute pool thermometer that has a bear with sunglasses resting on top. This is a thermometer that is small in size making it ideal for the smaller pools. It comes with a tether that ensures that it does not float away and get entangled with the pool supplies.
- It has a cute design. The bear with sunglasses will look cool in any pool.
- This is a small thermometer. Hence it will not look obtrusive in the smaller, personal pools.
- The tether means that this instrument will not float away. You can tie the rope to a grill or to a rock in order to use it for a natural lake.
- You can see it in either Centigrade or Fahrenheit, not in both the calibrations.
- The bear has been glued to the thermometer. Once the glue wears off, the bear part gets removed from this instrument.
- It has a thin rope as a tether. This tends to break off easily. Also, it will soon become weak and break off with wear and tear.
Pentair R141036 127 Tube Thermometer with ABS Case and 3-Feet Cord
This is a tube thermometer that comes with an ABS case. This helps to enhance the quality of construction of this instrument. In addition, the tether is provided through a long cord that is three feet long. The calibration is in both Centigrade and Fahrenheit.
- This thermometer can sink to any level that you want based on the length of your tether. This helps in giving an accurate reading of the pool temperature.
- The casing is made of glass. This means that it will not fog in any season. This way the readings will always be clear for anyone to see.
- This is an affordable product providing accurate results.
- The thermometer tends to separate from its casing after some time. Then it starts floating. This way it cannot give accurate temperature.
- It comes with a white cord. This will become dirty quite soon.
- It tends to sink and provide accurate temperature only when the pool is calm. In case the filter is working or someone is swimming in the pool, it tends to float and render inaccurate temperature.
ATIE PoolSupplyTown Pool Chemical Chlorine Feeder And Thermometer
The ATIE Floating Pool Chlorine Feeder comes with an in-built thermometer. It has space to hold upto five chlorine tablets to disinfect the pool. This way, it is able to perform a dual role. It can fit in small or big chlorine tablets depending on requirement.
- This thermometer plays a double role. It is a chlorine feeder as well as a thermometer.
- It is small in size. Hence it will not appear as an obtrusion in a pool. It is a good option for a medium or small sized pool.
- There is space to fit in five chlorine tablets at one time. This means that there is no need for a refill at frequent intervals.
- The thermometer is small in size. Hence the calibration is in small print. This makes it difficult to read.
- Its small size makes it unsuitable for larger pools.
Ambient Weather WS-14 Wireless 8-Channel Pool and Spa Thermometer
The Ambient Weather Wireless Pool Thermometer has a lot of technologically advanced features. The inbuilt sensor can record air temperature too. This wireless device can be monitored from eight different locations at any given time.
- This is a wireless device that can be monitored from different locations. This means that it is possible to know the temperature from indoors as well as outdoors.
- This device floats on water. It has a leak-proof design that does not allow water to enter the device.
- It has a console with an in-built sensor that will monitor air temperature. This allows a person to regulate the pool temperature accordingly.
- This sensor is designed to float. In case it comes under a cover, water will enter the sensor leading to gasket failure.
- Even though the manufacturers claim that the wireless transmission is upto 300 feet, this is only under ideal conditions. Otherwise, the range gets limited to 100 feet in bad weather conditions.
- There is no USB device provided that will make it possible to take off the data and store it somewhere else. This means that data once lost can never be recovered.
Milliard Floating Pool Thermometer Turtle
The Milliard Floating Pool Thermometer has a turtle on top making it look beautiful and enhance the appearance of any pool. It has readings in Centigrade as well as Celsius. This is a durable device as it is made of high quality material.
- The turtle sitting on top of this thermometer adds a fun element to this device.
- It is made of ABS plastic. This makes the thermometer durable and long lasting.
- It is a big thermometer with readings in both Centigrade and Fahrenheit calibrations for the convenience of its viewers.
- This turtle is stuck to the thermometer with glue. After some time this glue wears away and the turtle separates from this device making it look ugly.
- The string is not very strong. Besides, it turns into powder very soon once it is in a chlorinated environment.
- Since it is a floating thermometer, hence the reading may not be very accurate.
It is quite obvious that knowing what is the best pool thermometer is not an easy task. There is a plethora of instruments available in the market. Out of these, 7 best products have been reviewed here along with their unique features and drawbacks. Some are technically advanced while others are functionally better.
A few look good while others offer better results. The best one is the device that can meet most of the expectations in an efficient manner. Besides, most are designed keeping certain attributes in mind. All these factors are to be considered in order to know what is the best pool thermometer.