UPDATED: Nov 07, 2019.
Pools tend to get dirty very quickly. It’s not just the falling leaves and dirt that’s annoying, algae and fungus can grow on the surface too. Cleaning them would take a lot of scrubbing and hard work if you put off the job. A good thing is pool vacuum heads are out there to make pool cleaning easier and less time-consuming. There is no manual scrubbing required! All you have to do is pick the pool vacuum head to make your pool as good as new.
Best Pool Vacuum Heads Reviews
Pool vacuum heads are available in lots of different materials and designs. To help you buy the best one, check out the 10 best ones reviewed below on the basis of their features, design, and functionality.
1. Milliard Sea-Thru Triangle Weighted Pool and Spa Vacuum Head
- The triangular shape lets you reach the sides and curves
- Very easy to push around it inside the above ground pool
- Rubber bumpers prevent scratching
- Balanced weight
- No spring provided to hold or rest the vacuum head against the wall/floor
Milliard Sea-Thru Triangle Weighted Pool and Spa Vacuum Head is not like the conventional vacuum heads. To start cleaning, you simply have to attach a standard suction hose from the filter pump of your pool to the vacuum head. The triangular shape actually aids in scrapping off the stuck debris and sand.
The manufacturers have kept the weight nominal so that it’s easier to use the product and clean the pool floor. The angled brushes work just fine in breaking the dirt and suck it instead of pushing it around. The nylon bristle will not scratch the surface of the pool at all.
2. Milliard 14” Flexible Spa and Pool Vacuum Head
- Easy to maneuver
- Sturdy and well-constructed
- Rolling wheel lets the vacuum head glide along the surface for easy cleaning
- Screws and bolts get rusted very quickly
Milliard 14” Flexible Spa and Pool Vacuum Head has rolling wheels attached to glide along the surface of the pool for ideal suction. This ensures that the pool surface doesn’t just scratches while being cleaned.
The vacuum has a distributed weight to make it easier for the user to clean the floor by keeping the head in contact with the floor. It has a flexible body made from ABS plastic to keep it on the floor for sucking the debris instead of letting it float in the water.
To make it work, you just have to attach the hose to its 1.5-inch suction port. It has a flat-edge shape that can bend too for deep cleaning.
3. U.S. Pool Supply Weighted Butterfly Pool Vacuum Head with Swivel
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- The weighted body keeps it in contact with the pool bottom
- Multi-directional brushes on the bottom aid in cleaning
- Some users aren’t happy with the product quality
U.S. Pool Supply Weighted Butterfly Pool Vacuum Head with Swivel is one of the best products for cleaning vinyl pools. It has a butterfly-like shape which lets it cover a wider surface area and collect as much dirt as possible in just a single go.
The joints and the body of the vacuum head are made from sturdy plastic. The product itself is lightweight to hold but sturdy as it goes under water.
4. Pentair R201286 222 Pro Vac Series Residential and Commercial Pool Vacuums
- Well balanced weight system
- It rolls very easily across the bottom of the pool
- The wheels make it easy to maneuver through the pool
- Great suction
- Instructions to use are a bit unclear
Pentair R201286 222 Pro Vac Series is an ideal vacuum head for cleaning residential and commercial pools. The flex stripes guide the debris straight into the suction chamber. Since the unit is wide, it can cover lots of ground.
The vacuum head is flexible enough to bend along the edges of the pool. The swivel attachment lets you turn the vacuum without lifting the entire unit from the bottom of the pool. You can increase or decrease the velocity with the wheels.
This vacuum head works great if you want to use it to pick mud or sediment.
5. Fibropool Professional Flexible Swimming Pool Vacuum Head
- Flexible and easy to glide while cleaning
- Cuts pool cleaning time to half
- Strong suction
- Very efficient in picking small debris
- The wheels are a bit flimsy
Fibropool Professional Flexible Swimming Pool Vacuum Head is 14 inches wide which makes it generous for cleaning. It makes for quite an upgrade, especially if you were using a unit made from plastic.
The vacuum head itself is made from thermoplastic with 6 integrated weights that seal on the surface of the pool consistently to offer you superior cleaning.
The suction port can easily connect to a standard hose you won’t need extra accessories to use it. To make the maneuverability easier, chrome plated metal is attached to the extension.
The urethane wheels with metal ball bearings protect the surface of the pool from getting damaged. The unit sucks up dirt and debris very efficiently and it can easily flex to the edges. You might have to lift it up or move it over at times but the wheels make the cleaning smooth.
6. HydroTools by Swimline Weighted Half Moon Pool Vacuum Head
- A well-balanced weight keeps the unit from sinking
- It’s perfect for cleaning above ground pools
- The brushes keep the surface of the pool spotless
- The brushes can wear out soon
HydroTools is one of the vacuum heads that have been designed to clean all kinds of swimming pools. You simply have to attach to a standard size telescoping swimming pole and start using it. It has a half moon shape that weighs 1-1/2 pounds so that it stays down in the water when you are cleaning.
This shape is perfect for cleaning pools that have rounded corners or walls. Instead of having wheels, it has brushes around the edges. You can brush the bottom of the pool along with vacuuming. Plus, it is heavy enough to remain in the bottom of the pool without having to constantly press it down.
7. Poolmaster 18510 Triangle Vinyl Liner Vacuum
- Nice size and coverage
- Replaceable brushes available
- The vacuum head stays flat in the bottom when in use
- Easily slides across the pool bottom
- Brushes aren’t the greatest for removing tough grime and debris
- It’s a bit heavy and harder to move around in the water
Poolmaster 18510 is another vacuum head best for cleaning Vinyl Liner pools. It has a triangular shape that lets you reach the pool corners easily. Polypropylene brushes are attached underneath to reduce the scrubbing effort.
It readily works with standard pool poles and vacuum hoses. Since it’s wider, it offers good coverage. The bristles of the brushes will start falling off if you do intense cleaning. The good news is that the brushes are replaceable.
8. Milliard Pool and Spa Vacuum Head – 13″ Wide
- The suction is great
- Much easier to maneuver than the standard triangle vacuum
- It can suck in sand and small debris
- Not best for full pool vacuum
- It’s hard to use unless the suction is reduced
Milliard Pool and Spa is a 13.5 inches wide vacuum head that provides large coverage. The handle has spring loaded locking clips for attaching extension poles.
Excess suction is released by the air-relief valves. This keeps the vacuum head from sticking to the bottom of the pool when cleaning. You can count on it to clean up dirt. It’s a great vacuum head for quickly cleaning debris from the bottom of the pool, but it’s not strong enough to be a thorough pool vacuum.
The unit is well weighted for making floor movement easier. The brushes are safe to use on vinyl pool surfaces.
9. Poolmaster Deluxe Air Relief Vinyl Liner Swimming Pool Vacuum
- Adjustable suction
- Ideal for cleaning the bottom of the pool
- The side brushes let you reach corners of the pool too
- The sharp objects on the unit can leave holes in your liner
Poolmaster Deluxe Air Relief Vinyl Liner Swimming Pool Vacuum is 15.5 inches wide. It has two air relief valves that let you adjust the suction strength and swivel function hose adapter.
A stainless steel tension spring handle is provided to keep the unit submerged and level with the pool floor. Deluxe nylon bristles are provided underneath and at the sides of the vacuum to help you easily reach the corners of the pool. It’s best used for cleaning fiberglass and vinyl liner pools.
Lots of users have complained that this vacuum head has made holes in their liner after first use.
10. HydroTools by Swimline Clear Weighted Triangle Pool Vacuum Head
- Stiff bristles are great at sucking algae
- It’s a sturdy and heavyweight unit
- Made from durable material
- The unit doesn’t have a practical design
- It’s too small to take off tough grime
HydroTools by Swimline Clear Weighted Triangle Pool Vacuum Head can easily fit a standard hose. It has a snap adapt handle which makes the unit very easy to assemble. Thanks to the triangular shape, you can reach the pool corners easily.
The angled brushes further help in picking up the debris quickly. They are pretty stiff so if your pool surface has algae, then consider it gone. It’s easy to use and it glides really well along the surface. You can use this vacuum head for cleaning fiberglass and vinyl lined pools.
Pool Vacuum Head Buying Guide
Thanks to pool vacuum heads, there is no need to buy traditional pool cleaners that make the process of cleaning difficult than what you could have imagined. Vacuum heads make for essential equipment in pool maintenance. Not all vacuum heads sold by different vendors are the same. Each has different ports, widths, and bearing. Some even come with wheels that affect how the product works. Consider this pool vacuum head buying guide to choose the most valuable unit:
Vendors are selling vacuum heads in 14 to over 40 inches width. A broader head would cover the pool surface in a single go, right? But keep in mind, increased width also means increased drag. Large vacuum heads are harder to push but they finish the cleaning job fast. Small vacuum heads, of course, cover a smaller surface area but they don’t require much dragging. When deciding which width to choose, determine your psychical ability first. Also, if you have limited storage space, then get one in a smaller width.
Some vacuum heads have wheels on the underside while others have wheels and ball bearings to make the movement smooth. Ball bearings reduce friction while wheels let you slide the vacuum head more smoothly. Pushing the vacuum hence gets easier. If you are choosing a large vacuum head, choose the wheels that have ball bearings to make dragging easier. Such wheels are durable too.
You must have observed that vacuum heads are sold in a variety of designs. A triangular design is the most recommended if your pool has lots of curves. This shape will help you reach all parts easily.
All vacuum heads have a handle where you are supposed to attach the telescopic pole. This handle could either be made from plastic or stainless steel. The preferred material for the handle is stainless steel since it is durable. Plastic has its own qualities too. It is resistant to chemicals and corrosion.
The vacuum head must be weighted down. This will provide you control on the head. You can glide it smoothly over the floor to clean the dirt and debris. This will also ensure that there is enough space between the floor and the vacuum head to properly suck the particles.
Benefits Of Using A Pool Vacuum Head
- Cost effective: It’s one of the least expensive methods of cleaning a swimming pool. You can do it on your own without calling for professional help. The unit requires just a hose and a pole to work.
- It’s effective: Picking leaves and getting rid of sand, bugs, and other debris is not easy. But with a vacuum head, the pool cleaning job becomes easier than you imagined. If the unit has brushes or wheels inside, you can easily scratch the mud and vacuum head will suck the particles. It’s easier to remove algae with it too. Your pool will always be crystal clear for you and your family. There is no extra effort required from your side to clean the pool surface.
- Clean the walls: The pool vacuum head can reach the walls of the pool too and make them crystal clear. It saves you from the trouble of manual scrubbing. Depending on what design you choose, you will be able to reach the inner corners of the pool too.
How To Use A Vacuum Head For Cleaning The Pool?
To clean the pool, you will need a vacuum head and a telescopic pole. Follow the steps below to get started:
- Connect a standard pole to the vacuum head and hose. Make sure everything is connected correctly.
- Slowly lower the vacuum head into the swimming pool.
- Feed the hose in the pool and make sure all the air is removed.
- After this, pass the hose through the skimmer and connect it to the vacuum port.
- It’s time to use the vacuum head. Turn it on and let the suction begin.
- Vacuuming the pool is similar to vacuuming a carpet. Start from the shallow ends and then move towards the deeper ends. Use as many long sweep strokes as possible.
” Read More: best robotic pool cleaner
FAQs About Pool Vacuum Heads
How long can a pool vacuum head last?
Generally, the lifespan of a vacuum head depends on how frequently it’s used. Since you are investing money, the unit must at least last one season. You might have to get the brushes or pole replaced because of extensive usage. If the unit is strong and durable, and you take proper care of it, it can last up to 2 years or even more.
How to connect a pool vacuum head?
Connecting the pool vacuum head is very simple. You must first connect the pole to the vacuum head and then attach one of the ends of the hose to the vacuum head.
How does a pool vacuum head unit work?
Once you have connected the hose with the vacuum head, the liner head must be lowered and placed at the bottom of the pool. Place the other end of the hose before the water entrance of the pool to fill it with water. If you see bubbles, that means water is entering the hose. The water slowly flows down the cleaning surface and creates suction. You must then connect the hose to the skimmer. After this, all you have to do is glide it against the floor to clean the surface.
Now that you know how to buy a pool vacuum head, pick the one that helps you with pool cleaning the best. It must be easy to maneuver and it must perform the job well. If you’re overwhelmed by the choices available on the market and aren’t sure what’s the best pick for your pool – consider one of the above reviewed items and you’ll not be disappointed.