UPDATED: Nov 1, 2019.
It’s no secret that an automatic device is going to be both fast and efficient but what separates the average from the outstanding? Follow along as we help you to answer that burning question: What is the best pressure side pool cleaner based on features and customer reviews.
A Bird’s Eye View
Our top ten picks are a combination of models with extensive features, selections that focus on power for a faster more efficient service and those that use strategy to increase longevity. Many of them can also operate independently or offer a great value for price point. Let’s dive in.
1. Polaris Sweep 3900 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
This selection is the product of innovation, not only when it comes to design but also features and performance. Both power and torque has been improved which offers consumers a faster more efficient clean.
It is equipped with a dual chamber zipper bag which stores more debris than previous models so you have more time between cleaning and bag replacements making this device quite convenient.
Another great feature is the advanced sweep hose which is able to blast hard to reach debris out of sharp corners without spewing water from the pool onto your windows and other sensitive areas of the house.
- Dual chamber zipper bag collects more debris than previous models
- Polaris offers excellent customer service
- Easy to set up
- Climbs all the way up to the waterline
- Picks up small and large debris
- The hose can become disconnected
- Quality control can be low
2. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Platinum Automatic
If you have a darker colored pool, this is the choice for you. This item provides a heavy-duty performance and is able to handle the extra debris that is common with an in-ground design.
It has dual thrust jets which offer increased speed and better suction bringing cleaning time on an average sized operating area down to a minimal completion time of two to three hours.
The tyres on this design feature a heavy tread which means you get excellent traction making wall climbing and inclines a smooth operation resulting in full floor coverage no matter your construction style.
- Full floor coverage
- Takes up debris in hard to reach areas
- Easy installation process
- Great value for price point ratio
- Easy to clean
- Parts need to be constantly replaced
- Hose connection can be a challenge
3. Zodiac Polaris Sweep Max Pressure
For in ground designs that look amazing but can be a hassle to service, this device is ideal as it works well in just about any in ground pool with the help of a booster pump that comes from Polaris.
It is easy to set up with a pre installed pressure line that needs only to be connected to an appropriately measured length of hose. For customer convenience a feed of 31 feet is included and can easily be adjusted to size.
This automatic cleaner is fast, completing an average sized pool in under three hours. While it can run well while attached to a power source, this pressure side pool cleaner can also work independently.
- Fast and efficient
- Takes up all sizes and types of debris
- Pre-assembled making set up easy
- Replacement parts are made available by the company
- Great value for price point
- Quality control may be low
- Color can fade over time
4. Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
If you’re looking for a three wheel design capable of vacuuming and scrubbing you would do well to take a look at this product. It is both fast and powerful and facilitates the use of a dedicated power line.
The dual vent intake on this item allows it to maximize its power to facilitate efficient pick up. This is why the Polaris sweep 280 is able to handle debris of all types and sizes including leaves and pebbles.
It’s filter bag is located in a very convenient position which allows debris to be collected before it has a chance to pass through areas such as the pump basket and filter. This ensures the protection of these vital areas and prolongs the life of the selection.
- Hose length can be easily adjusted
- Cleans an average pool in under three hours
- Picks up debris of different size and type
- Replacement parts can be easily sourced
- Detailed instruction manual contained in product kit
- Bags can be a challenge to clean when wet
- Customer Service may be low quality
5. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Racer
If you are a stickler for style, you’ve probably come to the right place with this item as it has a very sleek and stylish design. It has a sporty appearance which is what earned it the name Racer Cleaner.
There is a 30% bump in speed when compared to other models and it is also 40% larger which makes this selection not only faster but also more efficient that it’s contemporaries currently on the market.
Unlike most companies that offer dual and treble venturis, this product has four in its possession which has increased it’s cleaning power by almost one third. You can sit back and watch this pressure side pool cleaner take up any sized debris from your floors.
- Backed by a reputable brand
- The pump power is adjustable
- Four wheel design
- Front wheel drive
- Filter bags carry their own floating device
- Parts may need to be changed consistently
- Quality control may be low
6. XtremepowerUS Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
This product is powered by jets which gives customers a fast and thorough clean which includes both sweeping and scrubbing the floors. Due to a belt drive mechanism to increase power, service can be completed under three hours.
It’s single chamber bag does not hold this device back from climbing walls and mastering corners and steps in order to remove all types and sizes of debris. This unique bag is strategically located to safeguard parts such as the filter.
While this selection is designed to facilitate a booster pump it does not need to be hooked up in order to operate normally. It is able to run independently on its own stored up internal power supply.
- There is a screw lock on the bag mount
- Long lasting performance
- Parts are not replaced frequently
- Replacement parts are easy to acquire
- Easy to set up
- Very high price range
- Instruction manual may a difficult to read
7. Zodiac Polaris Turtle Pool Cleaner
Unlike the other items listed on this review, this selection is intended for use in above ground pools and is powered by means of the filters. As water is filtered the pressure is able to propel this product around as it cleans.
With a shape like a beloved turtle, you can use this as a fun decoration for the kids while it shows it’s power to pick up large pieces of debris such as leaves while it moves around in the enclosure.
This design can vacuum and sweep the floors ensuring you are always entertained in a clean environment and due to its speed, this process can be completed under three hours in an average sized enclosure.
- Works well on corners and inclines
- Easy to install
- Climbs walls
- Completes a cycle within two hours
- You can swim while this device is in operation
- Instruction manual can be vague
- Power needs to be adjusted for efficiency
8. Zodiac Polaris 165 Pool Cleaner
For a selection that works well on any type of surface including vinyl and fiberglass, a good look at this product may be in order. It is designed to operate quickly and efficiently on almost any in ground area.
You receive 32 feet of hose in your product kit which is enough even for the larger sized enclosures. This hose can then be adjusted to fit the specific parameters of you entertainment area for maximum proficiency.
Not only does this design operate using its own pump but it also has its own filtration system which is easy to maintain and even easier to install. This ensures only clean water returns to your pool.
- Powerful suction for hard to reach places
- Adjustable hose included
- Keeps water contained in the bath area
- Removable parts such as screens
- Easy to install and dismantle
- Quality control may be low
- Water flow needs to be adjusted
9. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Inground Automatic Pool Cleaner
If you’re looking for an easy to use yet powerful option, this is the item you’ll want to take a look at. It is designed specifically for light colored pools that need to battle a high level of debris on a consistent basis.
The dual thrust jets give this product the punch it needs to ensure maximum speed and efficiency allowing your bath area to be completely cleaned within just an hour or two. This applies even to larger areas.
It is a front wheel drive so it possesses amazing direction even on slopes and around corners and elevation such as steps. The high tread level ensures maximum traction for a smooth and problem free service period.
- Four wheel model for stability
- Adjustable water jets
- Consistently high quality
- Powerful suction
- Ideal for in ground pools
- Color can fade over time
- May not filter smaller sized debris
10. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend Cleaner
If your main priority is selecting a design that is affordable and saves you energy when in operation for long periods of time. This item should have your attention as it is energy efficient and a great value for price point.
This design does not boast speed and enhanced features as some other products on this list, however, it can stand tall when it comes to ease of use and reliability. When it comes to items that last this pressure side pool cleaner does not sit in the shadow
It is stable, provides excellent traction with its treaded tyres and cleans on a level that would be the more “sophisticated” brands just a little bit jealous. This device can remove any size and any type of debris from leaves to pebbles.
- Efficient shipping and handling
- Four wheel design for stability
- Detailed instruction manual included
- Hose can be adjusted to create custom fit
- Completes service period under three hours
- Power must be adjusted for maximum performance
- May not filter fine particles
There are a lot of benefits to choose from when it comes to this type of device but there are a few things that set these selections apart from the other available options in 2019.
Model Variations Make A Difference
When it comes to these types of items, model variations aren’t about style or convenience. It is all about performance and changes can include aspects such as an increase in jet nozzles , suction power or wheels. All of these improvements help to bump up the productivity and efficiency levels.
No Supervision Necessary
You may choose to check in now and then to ensure your device has not tangled or worse but there are quite a few selections that can operate using their internal storage power. This eliminates this problem altogether and there are some products that allow you to swim while it cleans.
There is a wide variety of options on this list geared toward fitting individual needs. There are items that are designed for in ground areas while others operate best in an above ground set up.
You can choose a device that suits a dark or light pool area. Many also offer options when it comes to operations systems. While some need a pump others can function independently. Whichever your personal preference, you should be able to find what you’re looking for among these gems.