When winter sets in, it becomes a pain to clean and maintain the pool, doesn’t it? An easy way out is to cover it. Of course, for that, you must invest in a cover with the best material capable of withstanding the blows of the weather. With so many brands out there, deciding what is the best winter pool cover can be a tough decision.
10 Best Winter Pool Covers Reviews
It doesn’t matter if you are in search of a pool cover for inground pool or above ground pool, we have come up with a list of 10 best pool covers for winter. Read the reviews and decide which one fits your pool the best:
1. Blue Wave Bronze 8-Year 24-Ft Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
- Covers pool size up to 24 ft
- Protects against sun, snow, ice, and wind
- 4-foot overlap prevents stretching or ripping
- Expensive option
This pool cover by Blue Wave Bronze is another name for strength and durability. It’s made from polyethylene scrim coating to withstand the blows of winter. Its arctic armor covers are UV protected to last under direct sunlight.
The 4 ft. overlap can fit most top rails. It’s a dirt defender cover equipped with a heavy-duty cable to secure it well. The cover is backed by 8 years of warranty. It is designed to rest on the water to reduce stress on the walls of the pool.
2. Robelle Super Winter Pool Cover for Round Above Ground Swimming Pools
- High scrim count makes it heavy and strong
- Includes winch and cable
- Simple tightening mechanism
- The winch is disappointing
In search of a solid cover that doesn’t allow water to pass through? This cover fits the definition well. This model is made from strong polyethylene material and it is UV protected. The bottom of the cover is kept black to prevent the growth of algae.
The cover also includes all-weather cable and a heavy-duty winch which help secure the cover through reinforced grommets. It also includes a 4 ft. overlap to secure the pool. The cover is backed by a 10 years warranty.
3. Blue Wave Bronze 8 15-ft x 30-ft Oval Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
- Lightweight and easy to install
- Does not stretch or rip
- Prevents water seepage
- Its grommets don’t work well
Got an oval sized pool and looking for snow protection during winters? This oval above ground pool winter cover will save you the trouble. It’s a defender entry-level cover with extra strength and durability.
It has rugged polyethylene scrim and coating with UV protected defender covers. The underside is kept black to retard algae growth. Heat-sealed seams prevent water from sipping inside the cover. When you take off the cover next spring, your pool would be as good as new. It’s available in dark navy blue with a black underside.
4. Blue Wave Rectangular Leaf Net In Ground Pool Cover
- Captures leaves of all sizes
- Prevents mess caused by decaying leaves
- Secures the pool tightly
- Not made from the best quality material
It’s not just ideal for rectangular pools but it’s great at keeping the decaying leaves away from your pool. It has a leaf net tight mesh that traps leaves of all sizes before they even reach the cover. That means you don’t have to worry about decomposed spring.
All you have to do is lay it on top of your pool cover. But make sure you remove it before the first snow. Spring cleaning will be a breeze for you. The leaf net is constructed from durable woven polyethylene material so it’s going to last for years.
The net has an extra 4-feet overlap which includes a cable and winch to hold it securely over the cover.
5. Blue Wave Bronze In Ground Pool Winter Cover
- Keeps out dirt and debris
- Waterproof and UV resistant
- Snugs the pool tightly
- Can last longer only if maintained properly
This defender entry-level cover is designed for rectangular pools of 20 feet x 40 feet. Backed by an 8 years warranty, the cover is durable and strong. It’s UV protected and it has a black underside.
The polyethylene scrim and coating is decent and super thick just enough to withstand the blows of winter. The cover has loops that secure the water bags and corner grommets. This also ensures extra tie-down when a strong wind is blowing. It has a 5-foot overlap for preventing rips and stretches.
6. Pool Mate Winter Pool Cover for In-Ground Swimming Pools
- Large enough to cover the pool well
- Durable and lightweight
- Simple to install
- Light material might not last during strong storms
This is a lightweight high-quality cover with heat-sealed seams. Professional-quality, polyethylene constructions ensure all kinds of dirt and debris stay out of our pool.
You don’t have to worry about algae growth or UV rays damaging the cover. A 5-foot overlap is provided to make the installation easy and keeps the cover tightly secured. The cover comes with a 12 years warranty.
7. Blue Wave Silver 12-Year 24-ft Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
- 28 ft cover perfectly fits 24 ft pools
- Comes with a heavy-duty cable and winch tightener
- Can withstand wind, sleet, and snow
- Instructions may be hard to follow
This is a great mid-priced cover for above ground pool. It’s durable and strong. This silver grade cover is heavier because of a woven polyethylene scrim and coating. It’s also UV protected.
You will find a black underside to prevent algae growth. It’s also heat sealed which means the next spring when you are ready to use the pool, it will be a crystal clear already. The 4-foot overlap prevents stretching and ripping. The heavy-duty vinyl coated cable and tightener keep it anchored the entire season.
8. 24′ Round Above Ground Swimming Pool Polar Deluxe Winter Cover
- Highly sturdy yet lightweight
- Quick installation
- Fits 24 ft pools perfectly
- Can be blown away by heavy wind
For a majority of pool owners, dirt and leaf protection is a priority. This pool cover will catch all of it and prevent your pool from getting damaged throughout the winter.
It’s designed for large pools. Made from extra wide fabric, the manufacturer has reduced the number of seams to decrease stress areas and offer long-lasting cover. Even though it has tripled laminated poly constructed inner scrim, it is extremely lightweight. That makes installation a snap.
Its seams are heat sealed to prevent water seeping through the cover. The black inside inhibits algae growth. Like all other covers, it also comes with a heavy-duty vinyl coated cable and winch.
9. Pool Mate 351632RPM Heavy-Duty Blue Winter Pool Cover
- Prevents algae growth
- Lightweight and sturdy construction
- The 5-foot overlap makes installation easy
- It may shred if not handled with care
This is a rare piece. It’s lightweight yet it does a great job protecting your pool during harsh winter weather. Polyethylene material prevents the growth of algae and protects it against UV rays. The cover blocks all kinds of dirt and debris from getting inside the pool.
The cover has a 5-foot overlap. It’s an additional material beyond the pool size. Additionally, it comes with water tube loops. The material has heat-sealed seams for improved performance. It’s backed by a 10 years warranty.
To protect your investment, make sure you use the right chemicals before covering the pool.
10. Swimline Dark Blue Winter Rectangular In Ground Swimming Pool Cover
- Features superior tensile strength and durability
- Stain and puncture-resistant
- Makes spring cleaning simpler
- May develop holes overtime
Rectangular pools are the hardest to maintain. With this pool cover, you can make spring cleaning a whole lot easier. Once the cover is laid, your pool is protected from rain, wind, snow, and dirt. The laminated polyethylene construction is UV protected to offer extra protection in all kinds of weather.
Its rip-proof grommets work with vinyl cables to ensure the cover is snugged to the pool. This cover is 4-5 feet larger than the pool size. What makes it great is its ability to resist chemical stains, chlorine stains, tears, and punctures.
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more about pool covers with these frequently asked questions:
Q: What Is The Best Way To Remove Winter Pool Cover?
- Remove all the leaves or debris on the pool using a pool brush.
- If there is water, use a pool cover pump to remove it.
- Remove the water tubes, anchors or cable and winch.
- Start from one end of the pool. Make sure there are people on each side of the pool to grab the cover walking towards the opposite end of the pool.
- Once removed, place the pool cover in an open area to let it dry.
- Once all the water is dried, sprinkle baking soda to prevent mold. The cover is now ready to go in storage.
Q: What Is The Best Color For Winter Pool Cover?
A: Gray and tan are the most recommended colors. They coordinate with the backyard and they can better hold up to UV fading. Even if they are covered with dirt, it doesn’t show.
Finally, the best winter pool cover above ground is the one that is durable, strong, UV resistant and easy to install. Each pool cover in the list above has something unique to offer. Choose any that protects your pool, lasts longs and makes spring cleaning easier.